Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day (a day late)

Spring is finally here in NJ. It's a beautiful day outside, and it has been beautiful for more than one day at a time! FINALLY!

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Did you call your mom?

I called my mom yesterday. I got to sleep in until 8:50 (unheard of). I did not get anything served to me in bed, but that is part of the sleeping in. My husband knew if he had brought me something it might have made me cranky...so he left me in blissful peace.

I got a camera from my husband! YEA! I picked it out and ordered it, but he is picking up the tab. LOVE.

I got a card from my boys. The big one signed and drew on it. Love.

On Friday I got to go to the big one's school for a Mother's Day Tea. It was so sweet and he get SO excited everytime I go to his school for something. I'm going to miss these days for sure.

here comes the bitch (you didn't think this would all be roses did you?)

I had to work yesterday. ok not a huge deal I work every Sunday. but instead of having to go in at my usual 4 pm, nope I had to be in at 1 pm. ok not horrible, did it on Easter and I made pretty decent money so ok.

Yesterday was a horrible day for us waitresses. I never even thought about it. Kids pay on Mother's Day. My restaurant is not cheap. Kids run out of money to tip. I got 2 (yes 2) 10% tips. I NEVER get tips like that. I don't think I'm the best server in town, but I'm not bad either. I almost always average 18-20% at the end of the night. Last night? 15%.

On top of the shitty tippers, it wasn't terribly busy! I don't know if Easter was too close to Mother's Day this year (we were busy on Easter...so maybe people didn't want to come back to us?) Or because it was such a nice day (which we have been waiting for) that people decided to go the BBQ route? Not sure at all but it was not good.

I had sucked it up, went into work with my cheery face on, and by 6 pm that cheery face was GONE. *And so you know - I am actually known for being happy at work. I like my job usually. I like most of the people I work with. Grumpy waitresses do not make good money. People can feel your grump. So most nights I am pretty happy there, ready to make money and have fun.*

Meh. I'll get over it, but I don't understand on Mother's Day how people short changed a working mom, who did not get to spend Mother's Day at home being pampered. I completely don't understand people. Mother's Day is a day for extra tipping when you find out your server is a mom! DUH

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the sucky tips. That does not make for a fun mothers day. People can be so inconsiderate to wait staff. (My FIL is one of them and it drives me nuts)

    ReplyDelete