Thursday, May 26, 2011

Working Vs Staying home

Part of me really loves this topic. Why you ask? Because. Some people (not most but some) are so friggen righteous about either choice. "I work and that makes me supermom" or "I have sacrificed and coupon 40 hours a week so I could be a good mom and stay home" (which by the way - if you're couponing 40 hours a week...why not go to work?).

Although I work still, because it's the "night" shift or because I work only 1 night a week for 6 months I am lumped in with the staying home crowd. Which is fine, but I feel the need to justify myself...I work in the summer blah blah blah.

So without judging, and without justifying myself here's a list of the give ups and receives from my little arrangement (winter work 4 pm 1 night a week usually done by 10. Summer work 4 pm 4 nights a week sometimes 5 and not done until 11-midnight).

Lunch. I gave up going out to lunch - which is something that I like. Right now I am eating tuna from a bowl with a dessert of some popcorn. In exchange? I picked up cocktails after work. I could go either way with this judgment - neither side wins.

Going to the store during working hours (*gasp* I know) or on my way home with no kids. I received going to Walmart after work in the winter (they are open until midnight) so there aren't any crowds. In the summer I will have to bust it to get there before they close but we'll see. Once again? This one might just be a draw.

Seeing my husband at work or a chance of it. We both worked in the same company and sometimes we even had an office together (although I would not work for him cause that was ugly when we tried it. Now I don't see him hardly at all in the summer. So working during the day wins that one.

Playing on the computer. I used to be able to jump on the computer at work and check email, shop, or whatever during the day (it wasn't all I did but come on - who with an office job doesn't do this?). Now? if I get caught with my phone on me or using it I should say I could potentially be fired. Seriously. Seen it happen. So working during the day wins.

Ni-Night time is my favorite time of the day. I get to spend time with hubs, get some things done that I hadn't gotten done cause I was gone all day. Ni-night time is still my favorite time of the day...but I'm done when it hits. I rarely do anything except a load of laundry at the end of my day cause I've been here all freaking day. on top of that in the summer time I miss this time of day 4 nights. So my nights off are just that. Day time work should win this one too.

Talking with adults. When I worked during the day I could talk to "adults" (And I use that term loosely) during the day. Now I can when either hubs gets home or I go to work. And, I have started having a couple of friends over once a week for "coffee" (aka bitching). I'm going to say night work with this. I have made some really awesome friends at the restaurant, and I worked in construction before. I didn't have a ton in common with the guys I worked with.

Money. Yes, on paper I made much more money working during the day. But I had to work 40 hours a week to make it. During the summer I make much more per week than I did getting a paycheck...and I'm not driving everywhere. I'm not paying someone to take care of my kids (would have been basically my whole paycheck). I enjoyed the stability of the paycheck working during the day? But I like the outcome of working at night better.

So, if you haven't caught on, I do not see one side being better. I do not see one side being a better mom or a worse mom. I see it as same but different. I don't see one or the other being a sacrifice. I see ALL mom's sacrificing...that's what we do right?

No comments:

Post a Comment