Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bitchin Baking

Ok Sorry folks! The links now work - I'm somewhat slow...but they work now:)

Here it is - my first food blog. I'm so proud of myself. Although I made these like 2 weeks ago instead of yesterday like a true food blogger...I'm still proud and they are still pretty. I even took pictures!

Bagels baking:

Photobucket

Finished Bagel:

Photobucket

Finished Bread:


Photobucket

ok enough bragging. One of my goals is to make us all more healthy people. Including the 3 little people. but especially the 2 big people. So...one of the ways that I thought I could make us a little more healthy was baking my own stuff! No preservatives, no things I can't pronounce, but hopefully still yummy.

My family loves bagels and cream cheese. But they are always huge, always all white and not so good for you. So I found this recipe:

Bagel Recipe!

That's the idea but here's what I actually made:

* 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
* 1 1/4 cups warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
* 1/4 cup butter softened
* 1 Tablespoon sugar
* 1 Tablespoon Honey
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg yolk
* 1 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups oat bran
* 3/4 Cup ground flax seed.

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-in. hole. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil (I added a tablesoon or so of honey into the water). Drop bagels, one at a time, into boiling water. Boil for 1 minute on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.


I also made the bagels the above way but added blueberries and used all whole wheat flour, oat bran and flax seed. Blueberries are a pain in my ass...but they were yummy when done.

Here is the link for the bread:

Jeni's Wheat Bread

I didn't make too many changes in the bread, except I did use some oat bran, wheat germ and flax seed instead of all the whole wheat flour.

It is all very yummy...and very healthy. And makes this bitch very proud:)

No comments:

Post a Comment