Monday, March 21, 2011

You Tipped me WHAT?

So by profession I am now a waitress or a server whatever you want to call me. I spent 10 years in more of a career type job but when baby number 3 rolled around I couldn't see the point of spending more in daycare than I was making. It was silly. So I took a wild leap and landed myself a serving job. I live in a pretty touristy area so summer rocks it. Winter however....does not.

I currently work 1 night a week. In May I'll start back up to my 4 nights.

Let me tell you. I actually love my job. Most of the time! I get to talk to interesting people, serve great food (we have great chefs), and there is the promise of booze at the end of my shift. I have missed restaurants and all the craziness they hold.

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of being a server again. I'm dreading the summer and ready for it all at the same time. It's a love hate thing. Right now I'm serving a lot of locals, and as a local down here you HAVE to have someone in your family or a friend or someone that has been in the service industry so you would think that the tips would be better. In the summer time you have a lot of vacationers...and don't get me started on the French Canadians (They are not European - why do they have to try and tip like it? 10 percent is NOT ok).

This percentage brings me to the point of my post. As a server I make a whopping total of $2.13 an hour. Seriously. When I had my first serving job 14 years ago I made the exact same amount. That's right folks, the rest of America has gotten a pay raise in minimum wage, but not servers. Yes, you can argue that by the price of food going up that indeed servers have gotten raises, I have heard this argument before. But, in terms of WAGES I have not gotten a raise. I can not pay my taxes on $2.13 an hour because I am taxed on my tips. So, quite often in the summer I owe money to my employer.

While the $2.13 bothers me in principal (it does bug me that I can't pay taxes because I make so little, and no one has thought to give us a raise) what bothers me is people who don't know how to tip. Last night, for example, I rocked it. I really did. I had tables who loved me (and I definitely can tell if you love me or hate me). People remembered my name (I feel like I've done my job and you feel like you know me if you can remember my name...it's the little things). People were polite. Held brief conversations with me...and then left me 15%.

Sorry folks. 15% is an ok tip if you think your service was just "ok". However, if I served everything at the exact right moment, refilled your water glass 5 times, got you whatever you needed, didn't make you wait, made you laugh, gave you good food....15% is NOT ok. It tells me that I missed something in making you happy. I MAKE $2.13 AN HOUR. IT IS WINTER. YOU KNOW I AM NOT GOING TO WAIT ON 10 TABLES.

In the summer when I'm busting it, I can make up for a couple of 15%'ers. I can make it up on another table. In the winter? There is no recovery.

And if any of my dear beloved readers have a tip card? THROW IT AWAY! eek. I hate calculators, cards all of it. I mean no one can be that bad at math that they are worried about screwing me out of my money...nope what they are worried about? Is wasting money on me. Giving me an extra dollar which would horrify them. AUGH

So here's the moral of my story. 20% is a good tip. It means I made you happy. If your bill is $10 ummm you should leave more than 20% cause $2 sucks (get serious). If you really loved me, felt like I went above and beyond for you? Throw an extra dollar or two. I will get it I will understand that you loved me.

Please be kind. We are servers, NOT servants. We are here to make you happy, but please don't treat us worse than your dog - we are also people. We do NOT like finger snapping. We do not like being yelled at from across the dining room. (seriously don't EVER do that). We can all get along:)

No comments:

Post a Comment